Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And Speaking of...

Not only is Chinese New Year awesome because I get free money in little red envelopes, but the food is GREAT! Mom makes a traditional chinese (well Taiwanese) dinner with at least a half dozen family sized plates of yummy goodness that my camera phone does no justice to whatsoever! I need a REAL camera if I'm going to keep taking pictures of food as often as I do...


Steamed tilapia and catfish with a sweet fish sauce on top.

Stir fried tofu with green peas, onions, and ground turkey.

Chow mein of ground turkey, onions, cabbage, and other good stuff.

Spring Rolls! Crispy and delicious, I could eat a dozen of these easy.

Assorted stir fried veggies, chop suey really.

This is one of my favorite Taiwanese dishes ever, I only know it as "Lo Ba"(sp?) but its basically a 3 hr slow cooked pork butt in some soy sauce and chinese rice wine and 5 spice to make a freak'n good fall-apart in your mouth taste of heaven if there is such a place there certainly will be this stuff there. Mom adds hard boiled eggs into the mix so that it soaks in the yummy flavor and gets this cool brown color added to them.

Dinner was fantastic and I have to say it's because I helped mom make some of it, lol. But seriously, I will die a terrible death if I don't at least memorize that Lo Ba dish and pass it on because it is too incredibly awesome to let it go to the grave with my mom...not that that will happen anytime soon hopefully, I love you mommy! ^_^

**P.S. I'm not sure why ground turkey was used so much but I think its because my mom is on this whole eat healthier because-I-have-high-cholestrol thing so we cut out the beef this time but it still was pretty good.

No comments: