Monday, July 21, 2008

Mondaaaaay!

There's a reason why there wasn't a post yesterday.

I was dead tired...

...from playing mixed cash games from around midnight to about 7 AM Sunday morning and then having to get up about four hours later to incur the wrath of Billy for having been out so late. We literally played until the sun went up. There were just six or seven of us but we played like idiots once it got past 5 or 6AM and then called it a session at 7 in the morning. Some people had been there since 7pm and played 7 to 7--purely insane.

Before joining these guys I had never played a hand of Stud OR Omaha and these guys really wanted to play those games including the variations like 8's or Better and Hi/Low, Qualifier (or Not) and while it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do--to sit in a game that I knew nothing about, at least I got to learn how to play and cheaply since they only wanted to do a dealer-ante set-up so every hand was cheap and we were playing for just .50 blinds/chips, $20 buy-in so the game was small.

Playing these mixed games helped me learn a lot, especially about the other players at the table. Most were very loose, calling stations, and weak bluffers but what do you expect at a .50 table? Never have I ever wished more to play just hold'em against these guys in my life. The gentleman to my left all night kept throwing his money away in single hands for entire buy-ins. He must have lost $300+. He lost so much that he had to start writing checks to people...and this was a $20 buy-in game!!! (WARNING, more complaining ahead:)Oh course, I never could get a hand that night. Pocket sevens preflop was the best starting hand I could get ALL NIGHT. It was so sick how everyone kept throwing their money away on dumb draws and I never had anything worth playing. Couldn't get aggressive preflop because you couldn't get anyone to lay a hand down which is perfect if you can get good hands to profit from it but nooooo. At least I ended play just $7 down after 7hrs. instead of a bajillion bucks down like most of the table. This one girl at the table did pretty well, played solid, tight poker and got it in with the best most times and took a good profit home...but she also caught cards at the right times. < /jealous>

Ex. Where are my pocket JJ's when a drunk pushes all in for no reason hmm???

No comments: