Monday, October 6, 2008

Register To Vote!

I think today is the last day to register if you haven't already and plan to vote for the next president of our country. I was asked to renew my voter card back in July when I renewed my driver's license and I finally recieved my voter card in the mail yesterday so that I can vote next month and you should too! I'm happy to live in a time and society that lets us choose our leaders by voting by the people and their representatives and know how important this next election is for the future of our country. We're living in a time of war and a horrible economy, not to mention worry about the future of Social Security and oil. Yes, every election is going to be touted as an important election but this one feels a lot different to me than the one four years ago with Kerry and Bush. We didn't have the rediculous gas price issues back then, nor did we have a bunch of billion dollar businesses go bankrupt on us and lead us to a near financial collapse. People today are having trouble getting morgages for homes, they can't sell their homes, and unemployment is at its highest in years while the stock market hasn't hit this low since at the least the '87 crash...

Throw in the fact that a black man may actually become president as well as a woman for vice president and you've got yourself something pretty damn historical. I'm not going to use this space to try and convice you as to who to vote for as much as I would like to see you out there actually VOTING. So read about the issues, go to each candidate's website and find out who you would like to be the next leader of our ailing country. I can't stress enough how important it is to research and learn about the person and party you vote for because without doing so, your vote will have been a waste of time. Nothing bugs me more than the thought of someone going to the polls and voting simply based based on the color of skin, sex, age or appearance.

Be smart, or stay home November 4th!

No comments: