Friday, October 17, 2008

R.I.P.

Maybe it's just around me but death seems to be a close topic as of late. Not only did a 17yr old Central student recently die in a high speed wreck just down the street from where I work, another young man was shot and killed last week who's former girlfriend (and one of the suspected shooters I believe) had actually worked as a housekeeper for us a short time ago. On top of that, if you look at today's obits you'll see Ortiz, the Central student and below him David Lewis Johanson of whom I had known quite well...at least at the poker tables here in town. We knew each other by name and he was always very nice and courteous, a true gentleman. The paper said he died of heart surgery complications on the 13th in Austin. He was only 53. I'll always remember him as that snowy-haired guy with a cig in one hand and two cards in the other trying to figure out if I had AK when I raised him or 24suited as he often accused me of having. I'll certainly miss that old man.

No comments: